Chukchi Sea Oil and Gas Lease Sale 193
Dec. 22, 2014: Lease Sale 193 Draft SEIS public comment period closes.
Nov. 7, 2014: The Notice of Availability for the Chukchi Sea Oil and Gas Lease Sale 193 draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement appears in the Federal Register. This initiates a 45-day comment period ending at 8 p.m. Alaska Time (midnight Eastern Time) on Monday, Dec. 22.
TO COMMENT ON THE DRAFT SEIS: Go to one of the meetings below, or submit your comment via regulations.gov (deadline Monday, Dec. 22).
SCHEDULE FOR PUBLIC HEARINGS (all hearings scheduled for 7 p.m. Alaska time)
- Nov. 17: KOTZEBUE -- NWAB Assembly Chambers
- Nov. 18: POINT HOPE -- Qalgi Center
- Nov. 19: POINT LAY -- [Canceled due to scheduling conflict]
- Nov. 20: WAINWRIGHT -- R. James Community Center
- Dec. 1: ANCHORAGE -- Crowne Plaza Hotel, 109 W International Airport Rd. (Note change of venue! This hearing was originally scheduled to be held at the Loussac Library)
- Dec. 3: BARROW -- Ilisagvik College
- Dec. 4: FAIRBANKS -- Westmark Hotel
Oct. 31, 2014: In response to a federal court order, BOEM releases the Draft Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS) for Chukchi Sea Outer Continental Shelf Oil and Gas Lease Sale 193.
- Volume 1
- Volume 2
- Press Release - BOEM Releases Revised Analysis for Chukchi Sea Oil and Gas Lease Sale 193 - BOEM will hold 7 public hearings, accept public comments Nov. 7 - Dec. 22
- Preview copy of the Notice of Availability (NOA) for the Lease Sale 193 Draft SEIS. [This NOA will be published in the Federal Register on Friday, Nov. 7. The publication in the Federal Register will initiate a 45-day public comment period running from Friday, Nov. 7 to Monday, Dec. 22. During that time, comments on the draft Supplemental EIS will be accepted through regulations.gov.]
June 20, 2014: The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management today published in the
Federal Register a Notice of Intent to Prepare a Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (SEIS). The SEIS will address issues raised by the federal
courts in their remand of Chukchi Sea OCS Oil and Gas Lease Sale 193 back to
BOEM for further analysis.
April 24, 2014: United States District Court for the District of Alaska order in light of remand.
Jan. 22, 2014: United States Court of Appeal for the Ninth Circuit reversal and remand.
Aug. 18, 2011: Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (OCS EIS/EA BOEMRE 2011-041). BOEM (then known as BOEMRE) releases a Final Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (Final SEIS) for Chukchi Sea Oil and Gas Lease Sale 193. The Final SEIS provides additional environmental analysis that supplements the review originally completed as part of the planning for Lease Sale 193. Specifically, the Final SEIS addresses concerns raised by the U.S. District Court for the District of Alaska in its July 21, 2010, decision remanding Lease Sale 193 back to the agency, incorporates additional public comment, and includes a new analysis of the environmental impacts of a hypothetical Very Large Oil Spill (VLOS) scenario. Volume 1 | Volume 2
July 21, 2010: United States District Court for the District of Alaska order remanding to agency.
Final Notice of Sale for Chukchi Sea Sale 193 held on February 6, 2008 in Anchorage, Alaska.
The Final Notice of Sale package consists of the following:
Final Notice of Sale, Information
Final Lease Stipulations
Final Information to Lessees
Federal Register Notice Chukchi Sea Lease Sale 193
2007 ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT STATEMENT
Volume I: Executive Summary, Section I through IV