Alaska Leasing Office
The Leasing Section of BOEM's Alaska OCS Region implements the federal government's Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Oil and Gas Leasing Five-Year Program within the bounds of the Alaska OCS Region. The section ensures that OCS Lands Act requirements and procedures are followed in the preparation and conduct of sales listed in the Five-Year Program.
In this capacity, the section works closely with the Alaska Region's other program offices (Environment, and Resource Evaluation) to develop appropriate lease mitigation and terms of sale to help ensure expeditious and orderly development -- subject to environmental safeguards -- of America’s oil and gas resources. The section adjudicates bids and issues leases to the highest responsible qualified bidder(s) after completion of fair market value review.
The Proposed Final Five-Year Program for 2012 to 2017 introduces several enhancements to the Alaska OCS lease sale process. These enhancements include targeted leasing, an interactive mapping tool, and a mitigation program tracking table.
THE LEASING PROCESS
The Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act (often referred to simply as OCSLA) authorizes the Department of the Interior to grant leases to the highest bidder for the exploration, development and production of oil and gas contained within the Outer Continental Shelf (generally defined as the submerged lands lying around and outside three geographical miles off each state).
These rights are conveyed by contracts referred to as leases. Each lease covers an area that is no more than 5,760 acres, and is generally a square measuring 3 miles by 3 miles.
Outer Continental Shelf Program's Leasing, Exploration and Development Process
Under a lease, a company has the right to apply for permits to explore and develop the mineral resources within that area. Before approving the permits, BOEM carefully reviews all applications to ensure that the activities will be conducted in a safe and environmentally sound manner and that the interests of key stakeholders are effectively addressed.
- Lease Sale 244 - Cook Inlet Sale scheduled for 2017.
- Lease Sale 242 - Beaufort Sea
Sale scheduled for 2017. SALE 242 CANCELED OCT. 16, 2015.
- Lease Sale 237 - Chukchi Sea
Sale scheduled for 2016. SALE 237 CANCELED OCT. 16, 2015.
- Lease Sale 221 - Chukchi Sea Revised 5-Year OCS Oil and Gas Leasing Program for 2007-2012 removed Beaufort Sea Sales 209 and 217, and Chukchi Sea Sales 212 and 221 from the program
- Lease Sale 219 - Cook Inlet Canceled in 2011 due to lack of industry interest
- Lease Sale 217 - Beaufort Sea Revised 5-Year OCS Oil and Gas Leasing Program for 2007-2012 removed Beaufort Sea Sales 209 and 217, and Chukchi Sea Sales 212 and 221 from the program
- Lease Sale 214 - North Aleutian Basin In March 2010, the North Aleutian Basin was withdrawn from disposition for leasing through 2017, and this sale was canceled
- Lease Sale 212 - Chukchi Sea Revised 5-Year OCS Oil and Gas Leasing Program for 2007-2012 removed Beaufort Sea Sales 209 and 217, and Chukchi Sea Sales 212 and 221 from the program
- Lease Sale 211 - Cook Inlet Canceled in 2009 due to lack of industry interest
- Lease Sale 209 - Beaufort Sea Revised 5-Year OCS Oil and Gas Leasing Program for 2007-2012 removed Beaufort Sea Sales 209 and 217, and Chukchi Sea Sales 212 and 221 from the program
- Lease Sale 202 - Beaufort Sea Held April 18, 2007
- Lease Sale 195 - Beaufort Sea Held March 30, 2005
- Lease Sale 193 - Chukchi Sea Held February 6, 2008
- Lease Sale 191 - Cook Inlet Held May 19, 2004. No bids received
- Lease Sale 186 - Beaufort Sea Held September 24, 2003
- Recaps of Older Alaska Lease Sales
Alaska Planning Area Map
Active Leases in the Beaufort Sea Planning Area
Active Leases in the Chukchi Sea Planning Area
Historical Alaska Region Lease Sales. This one-page table gives an overview of all lease sales held in Alaska, including number of tracts offered, number of tracts leased, and acreage.
Scheduled Lease Sales, 2012-2017. This table shows all lease sales scheduled nationally, including in Alaska, from 2012-2017.
Detailed Listing of Active Leases. A table detailing all the individual tracts currently leased, including the lease owner, date leased, date lease expires, etc.
Combined Leasing Status Report. Updated monthly, this overview includes not only Alaska, but also the current leasing situations in BOEM's other two regions: The Pacific, and the Gulf of Mexico.