Proposed lease area offshore Georgia
BOEM has received and is processing an application from Southern Company for an Interim Policy lease approximately 3 to 11 nautical miles off the coast of Tybee Island, Georgia that would authorize the installation and operation of a meteorological tower and/or buoy.
- Notice of Intent to Prepare an Environmental Assessment
- Comments received on the Notice of Intent
- Application - In April 2011, Southern Company submitted an Interim Policy lease application to place a fixed meteorological tower on the Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) to collect site-specific wind and environmental data.
- Addendum A - In May 2012, Southern Company submitted "Addendum A" that also proposed deploying the AXYS WindSentinelTM, a mobile or movable single unit alternative technology.
- Addendum B - In October 2012, BOEM requested additional information and clarifications which were provided by Southern Company as "Addendum B."
On April 1, 2014, BOEM announced the publication of its environmental assessment (EA) for public review and comment. To view the notice and EA, click on the links below.
BOEM is seeking public comment on the EA until May 2, 2014. Comments may be submitted to BOEM via the BOEM website at: http://www.boem.gov/Public-Engagement-Opportunities/ (click on the “Open Comment Documents” link) or deliver to the following address:
Office of Renewable Energy Programs
Bureau of Ocean Energy Management
381 Elden Street, HM 1328
Herndon, Virginia 20170-4817
In addition to the request for written comments, BOEM is hosting two open house poster sessions to discuss the EA at the following locations.
Wednesday, April 23 (6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.)
Coastal Georgia Center
305 Fahm Street
Savannah, GA 31401
Thursday, April 24 (6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.)
Old School Cafeteria
204 Fifth Street
Tybee Island, GA 31328
Related Press Releases