Rhode Island Activities
Rhode Island and Massachusetts
Wind Energy Area
On Nov 30, 2012 DOI announced the availability of theProposed Sale Notice (PSN) for Commercial Leasing for Wind Power on the Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Offshore Rhode Island and Massachusetts.
The area proposed for leasing covers approximately 164,750 acres and is located about 9.2 nautical miles south of the Rhode Island coastline. The area will be auctioned as two leases, referred to as the North Lease Area and South Lease Area.
The PSN was published in the Federal Register on Dec. 3, 2012 for a 60-day public comment period under Docket ID: BOEM-2012-0095. Below are important documents related to the PSN:
BOEM received 82 comments in response to the PSN, which are available here. BOEM is considering these comments and will publish a Final Sale Notice later this year.
There are two general efforts underway in and around the Rhode Island/Massachusetts Wind Energy Area. For more information about the planning and environmental review process for these efforts, click on the links below.
Task Force Meetings/Public Information Meetings
The BOEM coordinates Outer Continental Shelf renewable energy activities offshore Rhode Island with its federal, state, local, and tribal government partners through its Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force. BOEM also coordinates public information meetings to help keep interested stakeholders updated on major renewable energy milestones. To obtain information discussed during these meetings click on the links below.
- Public Information Meeting on Rhode Island-Massachusetts Proposed Sale Notice (January 15, 2013)
- Public Information Meetings (September 19-21, 2012)
- Joint Rhode Island and Massachusetts Task Force Meeting (August 8, 2012)
- Public Information Meetings on Rhode Island/Massachusetts EA (July 16-17, 2012)
- Task Force Meeting (March 1, 2012 Teleconference)
- Public Information Meeting in Narragansett (June 9, 2011)
- Joint Rhode Island and Massachusetts Renewable Energy Task Force (June 3,2011 Teleconference)
- Public Information Sessions in Narragansett (May 3, 2011)
- Joint Rhode Island and Massachusetts Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting (May 2, 2011)
- Public Information Session in Narragansett (March 15, 2011)
- Joint Rhode Island and Massachusetts Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting (December 10, 2010)
- Rhode Island Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting (November 17, 2009)
Related Press Releases
Frequently Asked Questions