Family Friendly Work Environment
At BOEM, we understand the ongoing balancing act between work life and home life. We understand that a child's soccer practice is more valuable than a conference call, that a birthday comes once a year, and that when the work day ends, your life begins.
For this reason, BOEM offers the following family-friendly employee benefits and services.
- Flexible Work Schedule. In each office, BOEM employees and supervisor create a work schedule that best meets the needs of both the employee and the organization.
- Generous Family Leave. BOEM employees may attend to planned and unexpected family situations-such as childbirth and adoption, family care, and bereavement-through paid leave under the Friendly Family Leave Act and unpaid leave under the Family Medical Leave Act.
- Leave Transfer Program. BOEM employees may donate sick leave to coworkers who have medical or family emergencies and have exhausted their leave time.
- Employee Assistance Program. BOEM employees and their immediate family members may take advantage of the agency’s Employee Assistance Program (EAP). The voluntary EAP provides free and confidential short-term counseling and referral services for issues affecting employees' mental and emotional wellbeing, such as alcohol and other substance abuse, stress, grief, family problems and psychological disorders.
- Health and Wellness Program. At some locations, employees have access to discounted fitness facilities and group exercise and health education programs.
- Special Salary Rates for Key Positions. Within the Gulf of
Mexico Region, Congress has approved special higher salary rates at all grade
levels for certain scientific positions (Petroleum Engineers, Geologists, and
Geophysicists) within BOEM through fiscal year 2013. Click here for more information.