Partnering with U.S. Coast Guard
Memorandum of Understanding
The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) signed a MOU with the United States Coast Guard (USCG) on September 30th, 2004. This Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) is designed to promote interagency consistency in the regulation of Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) activities and facilities under the jurisdiction of the Bureau of Ocean Energy Management and the U.S. Coast Guard (hereinafter “participating agencies”), minimize duplication of effort, and aid the participating agencies in the successful completion of their assigned missions and responsibilities.
The ultimate goal of this MOU is to promote the safety of life and property and provide for the protection of the environment by the participating agencies’ efforts to:
- Foster communication and cooperation between the participating agencies.
- Optimize the use of government resources.
- Clearly delineate areas of expertise and jurisdiction.
- Develop common, compatible regulations and policies.
- Encourage adoption of similar codes and standards.
- Assist the regulated community in understanding applicable regulations.
Research Vessel Healy supports Chukchi Sea Offshore Monitoring in Drilling Area (COMIDA)‐Hanna Shoal Ecosystem Study in the summer of 2012.