Additional Sources for Offshore Data
Many data sources have proven useful to the cartographers of the Mapping and Boundary Branch. The most useful GIS data sources are listed and linked in this page.
- Data.gov - thousands of federal, state, and organization data sets. Try searching by "ocean".
- FGDC Marine Boundary Working Group — Site includes descriptions for the various offshore marine boundaries and links to the GIS data.
- NOAA's Digital Coast — Spatial data including LIDAR, AVHRR, Benthic data, etc
- National Hydrography Data set — Rivers, Streams, Coasts, etc. A joint project by USGS and EPA
- National Marine Sanctuaries — Information on National Marine Sanctuaries in the U.S
- NOS Data Explorer — NOAA’s Ocean Service’s portal to various NOS data sets
- National Atlas — Contains a wide variety of nationwide coverages at 1:1,000,000 scale
- Earth Explorer — Query and order satellite images, aerial photographs, and cartographic products through the U.S. Geological Survey
- Maritime Claims Reference Manual — A compendium of world wide maritime claims
- International Boundaries Research Unit (IBRU) — At the University of Durham has links to boundary related web sites around the world.