Contacts: Caryl Fagot
The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) will publish in the August 19, 2016 Federal Register, a Notice of Intent (NOI) to Prepare a Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) to seek input on the scope of the environmental analysis for proposed Gulf of Mexico (GOM) Lease Sales 250 and 251, tentatively scheduled for 2018.
BOEM proposes to offer for oil and gas leasing approximately 72 million acres of the approximately 160 million acres in the Gulf of Mexico (GOM), with the exception of the whole and partial blocks within the boundary of the Flower Garden Banks National Marine Sanctuary, the blocks deferred by the Gulf of Mexico Security Act of 2006, the blocks that are beyond the United States’ Exclusive Economic Zone in the area known as the northern portion of the Eastern Gap.
As part of this scoping process to prepare the Gulf of Mexico OCS Lease Sales: 2018; Gulf of Mexico Lease Sales 250 and 251, Supplemental Environmental Impact Statement (GOM 250 and 251 Supplemental EIS), BOEM will hold public scoping meetings at the following places and times:
- Gulfport, Mississippi: Tuesday, September 6, 2016, Courtyard by Marriott, Gulfport Beachfront MS Hotel, 1600 East Beach Boulevard, Gulfport, Mississippi 39501; one meeting beginning at 4:00 p.m. CDT and ending at 7:00 p.m. CDT;
- Mobile, Alabama: Wednesday, September 7, 2016, Renaissance Mobile Riverview Plaza Hotel, 64 South Water Street, Mobile, Alabama 36602; one meeting beginning at 4:00 p.m. CDT and ending at 7:00 p.m. CDT;
- Houston, Texas: Tuesday, September 13, 2016, Houston Marriott North, 255 North Sam Houston Pkwy East, Houston, Texas 77060; one meeting beginning at 4:00 p.m. CDT and ending at 7:00 p.m. CDT; and
- New Orleans, Louisiana: Thursday, September 15, 2016, Wyndham Garden New Orleans Airport, 6401 Veterans Memorial Blvd., Metairie, Louisiana 70003; one meeting beginning at 4:00 p.m. CDT and ending at 7:00 p.m. CDT.
In lieu of participation in these meetings, all interested parties, including Federal, State, Tribal, and local governments, and the general public, may submit written comments on the scope of the GOM 250 and 251 Supplemental EIS, significant issues that should be addressed, alternatives that should be considered, and the types of oil and gas activities of interest in the proposed lease sale area.
Written comments should be received within 30 days following the publication of the notice, September 19, 2016 in the Federal Register in one of the following ways:
- In an envelope labeled “Scoping Comments for the GOM 250 and 251 Supplemental EIS” and mailed (or hand delivered) to Mr. Gary D. Goeke, Chief, Environmental Assessment Section, Office of Environment (GM 623E), Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Gulf of Mexico OCS Region, 1201 Elmwood Park Boulevard, New Orleans, Louisiana 70123-2394; or
- Through the regulations.gov web portal: Navigate to http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket No. BOEM-2016-0047. Click on the “Comment Now!” button to the right of the document link. Enter your information and comment, and then click “Submit.”
If you have questions regarding the scoping process, please call Mr. Gary D. Goeke at 504-736-3233.