The 1967 Freedom of Information Act (5 U.S.C. § 552) gives you the right to request access to BOEM records. The Department of the Interior regulations implementing this law are located at 43 CFR Part 2.
In order to ensure that the public has ready access to certain key information about their government, BOEM proactively discloses public versions of our documents on our website. These publicly available materials may provide the information you are seeking. Take a minute to search BOEM's website to see if the information you want is already available. You may want to check the FOIA Library to see if a document is already there.
If you have any questions about the need for a FOIA request, BOEM’s FOIA process or where records might be located, please call or email the FOIA contact listed below.
How Do I Make a FOIA Request?
- Send a written request clearly describing the records you are seeking utilizing a method outlined in “Where Do I Send My Request?” below.
- Reasonably describe the records you are requesting.
- State the category of your request for fee purposes (i.e. Commercial, Media, Educational, or Other).
- Authorize fees up to the maximum amount you are willing to pay.
- If requesting a fee waiver, indicate how you qualify (see 43 CFR § 2.45(a) and 2.48).
- Provide an address and telephone number where we can reach you should we need additional information.
Where Do I Send My Request?
Requests can be submitted electronically through FOIAXpress, FOIA.gov, by mail at the address below, or by Fax (703) 787-1209. If you are another federal agency who is sending a FOIA Consult or FOIA Referral, please send it to email@example.com.
BOEM FOIA Contacts
Ashley Rychak, BOEM FOIA Officer
Bureau of Ocean Energy Management
45600 Woodland Road
Sterling, Virginia 20166
FOIA Email Address