BOEM Pacific Region requires financial assurance to guarantee compliance with lease obligations as well as other laws and regulations associated with the decommissioning of offshore oil and gas facilities, including pipelines, in Federal waters. For further information see:
- BOEM Financial Assurance Responsibility
- 2020 Decommissioning Cost Update for Pacific Outer Continental Shelf Region Facilities
- 2016 Decommissioning Cost Estimate for Pacific Platforms
- A Citizen's Guide to Offshore Oil and Gas Decommissioning in Federal Waters Off California
- FAQ: Decommissioning and Rigs-to-Reefs in the Pacific Region
Several agencies with an interest in the decommissioning of offshore oil platforms formed an Interagency Decommissioning Working Group (IDWG) in 1997 to serve as a forum for discussion of offshore and onshore decommissioning issues for Federal, state and local agencies.
- Decommissioning of Oil and Gas Facilities Offshore California (Matrix of Responsibilities)
- Decommissioning Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement
BOEM has held three public workshops (1994, 1997, 2003) addressing offshore oil and gas facility decommissioning. The focus of the 1994 and 1997 workshops was broad and included the regulatory framework for decommissioning, information available for analyzing decommissioning, technologies available for decommissioning structures in deep water, public concerns, and case histories of offshore facility decommissioning.
The 2003 workshop was planned in coordination with the IDWG. This workshop focused on detailed discussion and analysis of the available environmental information related to decommissioning and the information that may be needed for the Pacific OCS Region environmental documentation for future decommissioning of facilities in deep water. The IDWG developed an action plan to address decommissioning issues. For more information, see: For further information see:
- 2003: Decommissioning Environmental Studies Workshop Proceedings
- 1997: Decommissioning Workshop Proceedings
- Interagency Decommissioning Working Group and Action Plan