Partnering with Department of Energy (DOE)
BOEM values its partnerships with other government agencies when executing its mission to oversee U.S. Outer Continental Shelf energy, mineral, and geological development in an environmentally and economically responsible way.
Atlantic Offshore Wind Transmission Action Plan
The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management and the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) jointly developed the Atlantic Offshore Wind Transmission Action Plan (Action Plan) on behalf of the Biden-Harris administration to address near-, medium-, and long-term offshore wind transmission challenges for the Atlantic Coast of the United States.
On September 19, 2023, the Department of the Interior and DOE announced the publication of the Action Plan. See below for more information.
- Press release: Biden-Harris Administration Releases Roadmap to Accelerate Offshore Wind Transmission and Improve Grid Resilience and Reliability
- An Action Plan for the Offshore Wind Transmission Development in the U.S. Atlantic Region
2016 National Offshore Wind Strategy
DOE’s Wind and Water Power Technologies Office (WWPTO) and BOEM convened a workshop in December 2015 to obtain individual stakeholder insight into the technical and market challenges regarding the offshore wind industry in the United States. The workshop sought input across the range of U.S. offshore wind stakeholders to better inform efforts to update and refine the 2011 A National Offshore Wind Strategy. A workshop summary - including summaries of the facilitated conversations throughout the day, the participant list, and the presentations can be found at the following link:
On September 9, 2016, U.S. Secretary of Energy Ernest Moniz and U.S. Secretary of the Interior Sally Jewell announced the publication of the 2016 National Offshore Wind Strategy. Click on the links below to see the announcement and publication.
Click on the links below for more information about some of BOEM’s partnerships.
- Memorandum of Understanding Between the Government of the Kingdom of Denmark and the Government of the United States of America to Strengthen Cooperation on Offshore Wind Energy (effective May 4, 2016)
- Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) between the Department of Defense and Department of Interior on Renewable Energy and a Renewable Energy Partnership Plan (effective July 20, 2012)
- MOA Between BOEMRE and US Coast Guard (effective July 27, 2011)
- DOI/FERC MOU (effective April 9, 2009)
- MOU Between MMS and Fish and Wildlife Service—Protecting Migratory Birds (Expired on June 2, 2014)