Ten oil and gas lease sales were held in the Atlantic between 1976 and 1983. Fifty-one (51) wells were drilled in the Atlantic OCS; five (5) Continental Offshore Stratigraphic Test (COST) wells between 1975 and 1979, and forty-six (46) industry wells between 1977 and 1984. Offshore New Jersey, in a four OCS block area consisting of Hudson Canyon (HC) 598, 599, 642, and 643, eight wells had natural gas shows. Six wells recovered natural gas and/or condensate on cased hole drillstem test. Rates were variable, often declining over time. All wells were abandoned as non-commercial, at the time. At present, there are no active oil and gas leases in the Atlantic area.
A summary document of the eight exploratory wells drilled in the North Atlantic is currently available. Reports on each of the eight exploratory and two COST wells drilled in the North Atlantic Planning Area are available, and reports on ten of the thirty-four (34) wells drilled in the Mid Atlantic Planning Area available in this release. (Accounting for the two COST wells, 32 wells were drilled in the Mid-Atlantic Planning Area).
Important Atlantic Resources:
- Geological and Geophysical Historical Data
- Geological and Geophysical Permitting
- Atlantic G&G PEIS Record of Decision (ROD)
- 2014 Update to Atlantic OCS Assessment
- Atlantic G&G Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (PEIS)
- Atlantic OCS Facts and Figures
- Atlantic OCS Well Locations
- Atlantic OCS Well Logs
- Historic Atlantic OCS Drilling Activity
- Cadastral Data
- Ongoing Environmental Studies
- Marine Minerals Studies