The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management is closely examining what requirements are appropriate to protect taxpayers from having to bear the costs that are the responsibility of those who own and operate OCS leases and rights-of-way. We expect to proceed with the rulemaking process once we have concluded that review.
BOEM and the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) published a draft financial assurance rule on October 16, 2020, and received public comment. BOEM and BSEE are analyzing the comments and other issues related to financial assurance.
For More Information:
- Proposed Rule on Risk Management, Financial Assurance and Loss Prevention (10/16/2020)
- BOEM Regulatory Impact Analysis
- BSEE Regulatory Impact Analysis
- Comment Period Opens for Proposed Offshore Financial Assurance Rule (10/15/2020)
- Trump Administration Proposes to Clarify and Streamline Financial Assurance Requirements for Offshore Oil & Gas Industry (09/17/2020)