November 28, 2018
401 Seventh Avenue at 33rd Street
New York, NY 10001
Draft Wind Energy Areas
After reviewing the comments received in response to the Call for Information and Nominations, comments received during stakeholder meetings and general feedback, BOEM has delineated draft Wind Energy Areas in the New York Bight.
- Draft Wind Energy Areas PowerPoint Presentation
- Draft Wind Energy Areas
- Draft Wind Energy Areas with a nautical chart background
- Draft Wind Energy Areas with Latitude and Longitude Coordinates
- GIS files of Draft Wind Energy Areas
- Fisheries Relative Use Index and Draft Wind Energy Areas
NY Bight Task Force Meeting Presentations:
- Outer Continental Shelf Wind Energy Leasing in the New York Bight
- Department of Defense
- United States Coast Guard
- National Marine Fisheries Service
- Responsible Offshore Development Alliance (RODA)
- State of New York
- State of New Jersey
- Regional Developer Updates
- Next Steps in the Leasing Process
NY Bight Task Force Video Recording:
Task Force Summary
What is a Wind Energy Area?
As a reminder, a Wind Energy Area is a portion of the Outer Continental Shelf identified by BOEM for an Environmental Assessment under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA). Traditionally, BOEM has identified a Wind Energy Area and then offered that entire area for sale as a Lease Area. However, the fact that an area is designated as a Wind Energy Area does not mean that it will necessarily be offered for sale. The proposed area for sale, or Lease Area, will be determined at the Proposed Sale Notice stage.
What do the different colors mean?
The Draft Wind Energy Areas are depicted in two colors, dark green and light green. The dark green areas are BOEM’s primary recommendations, areas that relative to others with in the Call Areas present the least amount of conflict with a potential offshore wind facility. Areas in light green are secondary recommendations, which are slightly more conflicted than the dark green areas, and are where BOEM welcomes additional stakeholder perspectives.
Task Force Agenda
Please see a draft task force agenda below. Note that it is subject to change prior to the meeting date.
New York Bight Task Force Roster (as of November 14, 2018)
If you would like to provide updated contact information to BOEM, please reach out to email@example.com.