On January 27, 2021, President Biden issued Executive Order 14008 calling for an all-government initiative to reduce the impacts of climate change.
On November 15, 2021, the Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act was signed into law and gave the Secretary of the Interior the authority to grant a lease, easement, or right-of-way on the Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) for long-term sequestration of carbon dioxide that would otherwise go into the atmosphere and contribute to further climate change.
The Act sets out a one-year timeframe for DOI to promulgate regulations. BOEM and the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) are working together to draft regulations for public comment.
- Presentation: Atlantic CCS Assessment: An Introduction and Status Update (April 5-7, 2023)
- Presentation: Carbon Sequestration on the Outer Continental Shelf (August 17,2022)
- Presentation: 5th International Conference on Carbon Storage (May 2022)
- Presentation: SSEB Regulatory Workshop (May 2022)
- Presentation: Identification of Tier 1 Depleted Reservoirs in the Gulf of Mexico (March 2022)