BOEM makes Geological and Geophysical Data publicly available pursuant to current regulations covering data types and propriety terms. These terms and conditions are set forth in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Parts 550 and 551.
Geological and Geophysical data for the Atlantic Region can be requested through the BOEM Public Information Office. Or may be downloaded via the BOEM Public Information Ordering System or the BOEM Data Center.
Bureau of Ocean Energy Management
Public Information Office (MS 5304)
1201 Elmwood Park Boulevard
New Orleans, LA 70123-2394
Phone: 504-736-2519 or 1-800-200- GULF
Available Data for the Atlantic OCS Region
Continental Offshore Stratigraphic Test (COST) and industry exploration drilling, 1976-1984
Ten wells were drilled in Federal waters on Georges Bank, offshore from New England, in 1976 through 1982. Two Continental Offshore Stratigraphic Test (COST) wells were drilled to provide geologic information before the first North Atlantic Planning Area oil and gas lease sale in 1979. Subsequently, eight exploration wells were drilled by industry. The following reports summarize engineering, geological, and wire line data and information from these wells.
- COST G-1 Well (scanned from best-available copy)
- COST G-2 Well (scanned from best-available copy)
- MMS 2000-031 - Georges Bank Petroleum Exploration (Summary)
- MMS 2000-032 - Exxon Corsair Canyon Block 975 No. 1. Well
- MMS 2000-033 - Exxon Lydonia Canyon Block 133 No. 1. Well
- MMS 2000-034 - Conoco Lydonia Canyon Block 145 No. 1 Well
- MMS 2000-035 - Tenneco Lydonia Canyon Block 187 No. 1 Well
- MMS 2000-036 - Mobil Lydonia Canyon Block 273 No. 1 Well
- MMS 2000-037 - Mobil Lydonia Canyon Block 312 No. 1 Well
- MMS 2000-038 - Shell Lydonia Canyon Block 357 No. 1 Well
- MMS 2000-039 - Shell Lydonia Canyon Block 410 No. 1R Well
The Georges Bank basin well folio project provides insights from BOEM geoscientists in a petroleum system context, incorporating data, key learnings, and conclusions of each prospect drilled in a concise report. Because there were no discoveries, description and analysis of the failure of specific petroleum system elements and/or processes are the basis of the reports. The Georges Bank well folios are presented in chronological order. Multiple play/prospect types were tested. However, because the wells were drilled consecutively, there was little evolution in exploration concepts tested beyond those originally proposed by operators in their plans of exploration. Each folio provides information on pre-drill objectives, post-drill results, operations and cost, exploration concept/well target, and petroleum system analyses, interpretations, and implications.
Folios for all industry new field wildcat wells are below.
- BOEM 2016-025 - Lydonia Canyon Block 187 No. 1 Well
- BOEM 2016-026 - Lydonia Canyon Block 145 No. 1 Well
- BOEM 2016-027 - Lydonia Canyon Block 273 No. 1 Well
- BOEM 2016-028 - Lydonia Canyon Block 357 No. 1 Well
- BOEM 2012-089 - Exxon Lydonia Canyon Block 133 No. 1. Well
- BOEM 2012-101 - Exxon Corsair Canyon Block 975 No. 1. Well
- BOEM 2012-100 - Conoco Lydonia Canyon Block 410 No. 1 Well
- BOEM 2012-088 - Tenneco Lydonia Canyon Block 312 No. 1 Well
Baltimore Canyon Trough
From 1978 through 1984, 32 industry wells (25 new field wildcats and 7 outpost/extension/delineation wells in the Hudson Canyon 598 area) were drilled in the Baltimore Canyon Trough offshore New Jersey and Maryland. Two industry supported COST wells were drilled in 1976 & 1979. One discovery in the Hudson Canyon 598 area resulted. All 8 wells in this four OCS block area had hydrocarbon shows and 5 were successfully drillstem tested.
Reports on ten of the thirty-four (34) wells drilled in the Baltimore Canyon Trough, mid-Atlantic Planning Area available in the following release.
- COST B-2 Well (Open-File Report 76-774)
- COST B-3 Well (Open-File Report 79-1159)
- OCS Report MMS 89-0027 - Texaco Hudson Canyon 642-1 Well
- OCS Report MMS 86-0077 - Tenneco Hudson Canyon 642-2 Well
- OCS Report MMS 86-0129 - Texaco Hudson Canyon 598-3 Well
- OCS Report MMS 86-0099 - Shell Wilmington Canyon 586-1 Well
- OCS Report MMS 87-0074 - Shell Wilmington Canyon 587-1 Well
- OCS Report MMS 87-0118 - Shell Wilmington Canyon 372-1 Well
- OCS Report MMS 86-0128 - Shell Baltimore Rise 93-1 Well
- OCS Report MMS 86-0117 - Murphy Wilmington Canyon 106-1 Well
Exploration Reports for the Atlantic OCS are available in the following releases.