ABOUT THE NORTHSTAR PROJECT
Northstar is a joint Federal/State of Alaska unit located in the Beaufort Sea about 12 miles northwest of Prudhoe Bay.
BP Exploration Alaska, Inc. (BPXA) was the original lessee and operator of Northstar. On April 22, 2014, BPXA announced that it agreed to sell interests in four BP-operated oilfields on the North Slope of Alaska to Hilcorp Alaska, LLC. On Nov. 18, 2014, Hilcorp Alaska took over and accepted the duties and responsibilities of Operatorship of the Northstar Unit (100-percent ownership) and Liberty Unit (Hilcorp received 50-percent ownership and became the designated operator).
BP also sold to Hilcorp interest in prospects in State of Alaska waters -- notably the Duck Island (Endicott) Unit (100-percent interest), and onshore at the Milne Point Unit (50-percent interest). The agreement includes associated pipelines in the Milne, Northstar and Endicott fields.
Northstar’s seven producing Federal wells fall under the regulatory authority of BOEM's sister agency, the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE). Its other wells fall under the regulatory oversight of the State of Alaska.
Hilcorp Alaska takes over and accepts the duties and responsibilities of Operatorship of the Northstar and Liberty units.
BP announces that it has agreed to sell interests in four BP-operated oilfields on the North Slope of Alaska to Hilcorp Alaska, LLC (Hilcorp Alaska). The sale agreement includes all of BP’s interests in the Endicott and Northstar oilfields and a 50-percent interest in each of the Liberty and the Milne Point fields. The sale also includes BP’s interests in the oil and gas pipelines associated with these fields.
MMS issues letter noting availability of Record of Decision.
|Sep 03||MMS approves Northstar Development and Production Plan.|
|Aug 08||MMS issues Record of Decision on Northstar DPP.|
|Jun 03||MMS issues Finding of No Significant Impact relating to BP’s Northstar Development and Production Plan, the Final Environmental Impact Statement, and Draft and State-Approved versions of the Oil Discharge Prevention and Contingency Plans.|
|May 03||U.S Army Corps of Engineers issues Record of Decision for Northstar Project.|
|Feb 18||The Alaska Department of Environmental Conservation’s Division of Air and Water Quality (Watershed Management Section) issues a wastewater disposal permit to BP Exploration (Alaska) Inc.|
|Feb 04||State of Alaska’s Division of Governmental Coordination completes coordinating the State’s review of the Northstar Development Project for consistency with the Alaska Coastal Management Program.|
BP Exploration (Alaska) Inc. provides final modification to the Northstar Development and Production Plan (DPP) to the U.S. Army Corp. of Engineers, the lead agency for this joint Federal- and State-managed project.
Additional Northstar Public Information
- June 19, 2009 - Application for Permit to Modify (APM)
- June 16, 2009 - Application for Permit to Modify (APM)
- September 17, 2008 - Northstar Participating Area Final Unit Tract Participants Revisions to Northstar Unit Agreement, Revised Exhibit C-1
- September 2, 2008 - Northstar Participating Area Final Unit Tract Participants Revisions to Northstar Unit Agreement, Revised Exhibit C-1
- March 23, 2007 - Change in Status for the Northstar Reservoir
- June 29, 2006 - Northstar Unit Sixth Plan of Development
- February 4, 2005 - Supplemental Fifth Plan of Development
- October 30, 2003 - Second Annual Report
- September 25, 2003 - Approved Application for Permit to Drill (APD)
- January 23, 2003 - Application for Permit to Modify (APM)
- January 6, 2003 -Application for Permit to Modify (APM)
- December 20, 2002 - Application for Permit to Modify (APM)
- July 24, 2001 - Application for Expansion of the Northstar Unit and Proposed Formations of Northstar Participating Area
- June 26, 2001 - Application for Alaska Oil and Gas Conservation Commission for Approval of Pool Rules and Area Injection Order
- May 17, 2000 - Amended Third Plan of Development, Second Annual Report
- September 3, 1999 - Approved Development and Production Plan (DPP) and the Record of Decision of BP (Alaska) Inc.'s Northstar Development and Production Plan
- June 8, 1999 - Amendments to the Third Plan of Development are approved and an Extension to the Suspension of Operations
- April 29, 1999 - Amended Third Plan of Development and Request for Suspension of Production
- June 1, 1998 - Northstar Project Description
- April 6, 1998 - Approval of the Extension to the Suspension of Production
- January 23, 1998 - Third Plan of Development
- May 22, 1997 - Review of the Annual Status Report
- April 29, 1997 - Annual Status Report and Update
- May 22, 1996 - Review of the Annual Status Report
- April 30, 1996 - Annual Status Report
- August 16, 1995 - Northstar Unit Agreement Updated Exhibits
- March 30, 1995 - Request for Suspension of Operations
- March 30, 1995 - Requestion for Suspension of Operations
- January 24, 1995 - Extension of Suspension of Operations
- January 19, 1995 - Resign. of Operator Designation of Successor Operator
- January 13, 1995 - Request for Extension of Time
- April 20, 1993 - 3-D Modeling
- January 25, 1993 - Third Annual Progress Report
- January 30, 1992 - Second Annual Progress Report
- October 31, 1991 - Revision of Interest (Exhibit F)
- February 13, 1991 - Annual Progress Report Review
- January 23, 1991 - First Annual Progress Report
- January 23, 1991 - First Annual Progress Report
- May 10, 1990 - Request for Suspension of Operations
- April 20, 1990 - Approval of the Five-Year Unit Plan of Development
- January 25, 1990 - Approval of Unit Agreement
- November 29, 1989 - Northstar Unit Agreement
- October 13, 1989 - Unit Agreement
- October 12, 1989 - Northstar Unit