On July 15, 2022, BOEM published a Notice of Intent (NOI) to prepare a draft Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (PEIS) for the New York Bight Lease Areas. These lease areas total over 488,000 acres in the New York Bight for potential offshore wind energy development. As part of this scoping process, BOEM asked stakeholders, organizations, Federal agencies, and Tribal, State, and local governments to submit comments on the scope of the draft PEIS, including potential alternatives and draft mitigation measures. BOEM extended the public comment period for the New York Bight PEIS, which ended on August 30, 2022.
The following documents are available for viewing:
During the public comment period, BOEM hosted three virtual scoping meetings where the public could learn about the environmental review process, participate in Q&A with subject matter experts, and provide public comments on the scope of the draft PEIS. The virtual scoping meetings were held on:
- Thursday, July 28, 2022; 5 p.m. ET
- Tuesday, August 2, 2022; 5 p.m. ET
- Thursday, August 4, 2022; 1 p.m. ET
Meeting recordings can be found in the Videos tab.
Your feedback is an essential part of this process. Starting on July 15, 2022, BOEM will accept comments on scope of the draft PEIS in any of the following ways:
- You may submit written comments electronically via http://www.regulations.gov by searching for Docket No. BOEM-2022-0034 and clicking on “Comment”. Comments must be submitted by 11:59 PM ET on August 30, 2022.
- You may also submit written comments by mail. Enclose your comment in an envelope labeled, “NY Bight PEIS” addressed to “Chief, Division of Environmental Assessment, Office of Environmental Programs, Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, 45600 Woodland Road (VAM-OEP), Sterling, Virginia 20166.” Comments must be postmarked no later than August 30, 2022.
- After the public comment period ends, you can find the comments on http://www.regulations.gov and search for Docket No. BOEM-2022-0034.
BOEM Fact Sheets
NY Bight Lessee Fact Sheets
New York Bight PEIS Public Scoping Meeting Recordings