There are four proposed/ongoing activities in and around the Virginia Wind Energy Area (WEA), which are listed below.
BOEM has funded or considered numerous studies to collect information about the marine environment to support decisions concerning offshore renewable energy development. For more information, please visit: http://www.boem.gov/VA-Environmental-Studies/.
Task Force Meetings/Public Information Meetings
BOEM coordinates Outer Continental Shelf renewable energy activities with its federal, state, local, and tribal government partners through the Virginia Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force. BOEM also coordinates public information meetings to help keep interested stakeholders updated on major renewable energy milestones. To obtain information discussed during these meetings click on the links below. To obtain information discussed during these meetings click on the links below.
Related Press Releases
- BOEM Announces Environmental Review of Proposed Wind Energy Facility Offshore Virginia (07/07/2021)
- BOEM Approves Virginia’s Offshore Wind Research Activities Plan (03/24/2016)
- BOEM Issues First Wind Energy Research Lease in Federal Offshore Waters (03/26/2015)
- BOEM Achieves Milestone for Virginia Offshore Wind Research Project (12/01/2014)
- BOEM to Conduct Environmental Review of Renewable Energy Research Activities Offshore Virginia (03/13/2014)
- Milestone Cleared for Second Wind Energy Research Lease Offshore Virginia (12/06/2013)
- Interior Holds Second Competitive Lease Sale for Renewable Energy in Federal Waters (09/04/2013)
- BOEM Announces Second Potential Wind Energy Research Lease for Federal Waters Offshore Virginia (7/29/2013)
- Interior Announces Nation’s Second Offshore Wind Renewable Energy Lease Sale (7/22/2013)
- Milestone cleared for wind energy research lease offshore Virginia (3/14/2013)
- BOEM to Convene Renewable Energy Public Seminars in Rhode Island and Virginia for Offshore Wind Development (1/14/2013)
- BOEM Announces Potential Research Lease Offshore Virginia (12/20/2012)
- Interior Announces First-Ever Renewable Energy Lease Sales on the Outer Continental Shelf (11/30/2012)
- Obama Administration Announces Major Steps toward Leasing for Offshore Wind Projects in Mid-Atlantic (2/02/2012)
- Obama Administration Initiates Leasing Process for Commercial Wind Development Offshore Virginia (2/02/2012)
- Salazar Launches 'Smart from the Start' Initiative to Speed Offshore Wind Energy Development off the Atlantic Coast (11/23/2010)