Rhode Island Activities
The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) will be hosting three public meetings and a webinar to discuss feedback that we have received from a recently published Call for Information and Nominations (Call) for potential offshore wind energy leasing and development in the New York Bight.
The meetings will be held at the following locations:
Monday, Sept. 17, 2018
Shade Tree Community Center
60 Shade Tree Lane
5:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Tuesday, Sept. 18, 2018
New Bedford, MA
Waypoint Event Center at Fairfield Inn & Suites
Sea Loft Room
185 MacArthur Drive
New Bedford, MA 02740
5:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Thursday, Sept. 20, 2018
Long Branch, NJ
Long Branch Library
Long Branch, NJ 07740
Tuesday, Sept. 25, 2018
Webinar hosted by BOEM
1:00 – 4:00 p.m.
At each meeting, BOEM will present its most recent analysis that incorporates comments received from the Call. In addition, there will be an opportunity to ask questions and provide feedback to help inform BOEM’s decision-making process.
Figure 1: AXYS FLiDAR 6M™ Buoy
There are two general efforts underway in and around the Rhode Island/Massachusetts Wind Energy Area. For more information about the planning and environmental review process for these efforts, click on the links below.
BOEM has funded or considered numerous studies to collect information about the marine environment to support decisions concerning offshore renewable energy development. For more information, please visit: http://www.boem.gov/Rhode-Island-Environmental-Studies/
Task Force Meetings/Public Information Meetings
BOEM coordinates Outer Continental Shelf renewable energy activities offshore Rhode Island with its federal, state, local, and tribal government partners through its Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force. BOEM also coordinates public information meetings to help keep interested stakeholders updated on major renewable energy milestones. To obtain information discussed during these meetings click on the links below.
- Joint Rhode Island/Massachusetts Renewable Energy Task Force Webinar (April 24, 2018)
- Joint Rhode Island/Massachusetts Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting (May 16, 2017)
- Public Information Meeting on Rhode Island-Massachusetts Proposed Sale Notice (January 15, 2013)
- Public Information Meetings (September 19-21, 2012)
- Joint Rhode Island and Massachusetts Task Force Meeting (August 8, 2012)
- Public Information Meetings on Rhode Island/Massachusetts EA (July 16-17, 2012)
- Task Force Meeting (March 1, 2012 Teleconference)
- Public Information Meeting in Narragansett (June 9, 2011)
- Joint Rhode Island and Massachusetts Renewable Energy Task Force (June 3,2011 Teleconference)
- Public Information Sessions in Narragansett (May 3, 2011)
- Joint Rhode Island and Massachusetts Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting (May 2, 2011)
- Public Information Session in Narragansett (March 15, 2011)
- Joint Rhode Island and Massachusetts Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting (December 10, 2010)
- Rhode Island Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting (November 17, 2009)
Related Press Releases
- BOEM and MassCEC Release Marine Wildlife Survey Results to Guide Offshore Wind Development (10/25/2016)
- Secretary Jewell, Director Hopper Laud Construction of Nation’s First Offshore Wind Farm (July 27, 2015)
- Interior Offers First Right-of-Way for Renewable Energy Transmission in Federal Waters (November 17, 2014)
- Interior Holds First-Ever Competitive Lease Sale for Renewable Energy in Federal Waters (July 31, 2013)
- Interior Announces First Offshore Renewable Energy Lease Sale (June 4, 2013)
- Interior Announces First-Ever Renewable Energy Lease Sales on the Outer Continental Shelf (November 30, 2012)
- Proposed Rhode Island Offshore Wind Energy Transmission Line Takes Next Step (August 7, 2012)
- Salazar Announces Onshore, Offshore Wind Energy Milestones (July 2, 2012)
- BOEM Seeks to Gauge Industry Interest in Proposed Rhode Island Wind Energy Transmission System (May 22, 2012)
- BOEM Identifies Wind Energy Area Offshore Rhode Island and Massachusetts (Feb 24, 2012)
- Interior Launches Leasing Process for Commercial Wind Energy Offshore Rhode Island and Massachusetts (August 17, 2011)
- Salazar Launches 'Smart from the Start' Initiative to Speed Offshore Wind Energy Development off the Atlantic Coast(November 23,2010)