On June 8, 2022, BOEM will publish a Notice of Intent to (NOI) Prepare an Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) for US Wind’s wind project offshore Maryland.
- Notice of Intent to Prepare an EIS (BOEM-2022-0025)
- US Wind Construction and Operations Plan and Appendices
The NOI initiates a 30-day public comment period that ends on July 8, 2022. During the public comment period, BOEM will be hosting three virtual scoping meetings where you can learn more about the Construction and Operations Plan (COP), ask questions, and provide oral testimony.
The virtual scoping meetings will be held on:
- Tuesday, June 21, 2022; 5:00 PM ET
- Thursday, June 23, 2022; 5:00 PM ET
- Monday, June 27, 2022; 1:00 PM ET
Registration for the virtual public meetings may be completed here: https://www.zoomgov.com/webinar/register/WN_-h4_l_XFTt2R-k5VO7mt4Q
Following the comment period, BOEM will review the comments received to identify issues and potential alternatives for consideration in the US Wind Draft EIS.
Related Press Releases
- Interior Auctions 80,000 Acres Offshore Maryland for Wind Energy Development, Advances President’s Climate Action Plan (08/19/2014)
- Interior to Auction Nearly 80,000 Acres Offshore Maryland for Wind Energy Development (07/02/2014)
- Secretary Jewell Announces Milestone for Commercial Wind Energy Development in Federal Waters (12/17/2013)
- Obama Administration Initiates Leasing Process for Commercial Wind Development Offshore Maryland (02/02/2012)
- Wind Energy Areas Moving Ahead in Maryland, Virginia, New Jersey and Delaware; Secretary Salazar Streamlines Offshore Wind Applications (2/2/2012)
- Salazar Launches 'Smart from the Start' Initiative to Speed Offshore Wind Energy Development off the Atlantic Coast (11/23/2010)
- BOEMRE Initiates Leasing Process for Commercial Wind Development on Outer Continental Shelf offshore Maryland (11/08/2010)
The Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Lands Act requires BOEM to award leases competitively, unless BOEM determines there is no competitive interest. In November 2010, BOEM initiated the leasing process offshore Maryland by issuing a Request for Interest (RFI) to gauge industry’s interest in obtaining commercial wind leases in an area offshore of Maryland. Materials relating to the RFI are provided below.
- Request for Interest (RFI) for Commercial Leasing for Wind Power on the OCS Offshore Maryland
- Map Showing the Request for Interest
- Commercial Indications of Interest
- Comments in Response to the RFI
Call for Information and Nominations
In Feb. 2012, BOEM published a Call for Information and Nominations (“Call”) to solicit lease nominations and request public comments about site conditions, resources and other existing uses of the identified area that would be relevant to BOEM’s potential leasing and development authorization process. Materials relating to the Call are below.
- Maryland Call for Information and Nominations
- Map Showing Maryland Call Area
- Map Showing the Maryland Call Area with a NOAA Nautical Chart background
- Commercial Nominations of Interest
- Comments in Response to Call
BOEM identified the "Call Area" in consultation with its intergovernmental Maryland Renewable Energy Task Force, which includes federal, state, local and tribal government representatives.
On Feb. 3, 2012, BOEM also published in the Federal Register a Notice of Availability of an Environmental Assessment (EA) and Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) for commercial wind lease issuance and site assessment activities on the Atlantic OCS offshore New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, and Virginia. Consultations ran concurrently with preparation of the EA and included consultations under the Endangered Species Act, Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act, Section 106 of the National Historic Preservation Act, and the Coastal Zone Management Act. In June 2012, BOEM published a Finding of No Historic Properties Affected for the Issuance of Commercial Leases within the Maryland Wind Energy Area.
BOEM has funded or considered numerous studies to collect information about the marine environment to support decisions concerning offshore renewable energy development. For more information, please visit: http://www.boem.gov/MD-Environmental-Studies/.
Proposed Sale Notice
BOEM published a Proposed Sale Notice (PSN) in the Federal Register on Dec.18, 2013, which describes proposed terms and conditions for a lease sale for two commercial wind energy leases in the Maryland Wind Energy Area (WEA). A public seminar regarding this PSN was held in Baltimore on January 24, 2014. The 60-day public comment period for the PSN ended on Feb.18, 2014. In response, BOEM received 19 comment submissions and seven additional qualifications packages from companies wishing to participate in the auction. Public comments received are available by clicking here.
- Map of the Proposed Maryland Commercial Lease Areas
- Map of the Proposed Maryland Commercial Lease Areas on Nautical Chart
- Commercial Lease OCS-A 0489 (proposed)
- Commercial Lease OCS-A 0490 (proposed)
- Bidders Financial Form (proposed)
Correspondence Referenced in the PSN:
- Letter from U.S. Coast Guard Fifth District
- Letter from the American Waterways Operators
- Letter from the Business Network for Maryland Offshore Wind
Final Sale Notice
On July 3, 2014, BOEM published a Final Sale Notice, which states a commercial lease sale (i.e., auction) will be held August 19, 2014, for the Wind Energy Area (WEA) offshore Maryland. The auction represents the third competitive lease sale for renewable energy on the OCS.
The WEA covers approximately 80,000 acres, and its western edge is located about 10 nautical miles from the Ocean City coastline. It will be auctioned as two leases, referred to as the North Lease Area (32,737 acres) and the South Lease Area (46,970 acres). Materials related to the Final Sale Notice are below.
- Final Sale Notice
- Map of the Maryland Lease Areas
- Map of the Maryland Lease Areas with Nautical Chart
- GIS Files of Maryland Lease Areas (UTM Zone 18, NAD 83)
- Commercial Lease OCS-A 0489 (North Lease Area)
- Commercial Lease OCS-A 0490 (South Lease Area)
- Auction System Technical Supplement
- Bidder's Financial Form
- Alternate Bidding Form
- Electronic Payment Instructions
- Response to Comments
The area available for auction is identical to the one announced in the Proposed Sale Notice (PSN) published in the Federal Register on Dec. 18, 2013 for a 60-day public comment period. BOEM carefully considered public comments received during this time prior to developing the Final Sale Notice, as discussed in the Response to Comments above.
BOEM coordinates Outer Continental Shelf renewable energy activities offshore Maryland with its federal, state, local, and tribal government partners through its Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force. BOEM also coordinates public information meetings to help keep interested stakeholders updated on major renewable energy milestones. To obtain information discussed during these meetings click on the links below:
- Public Seminar on Maryland Wind Energy Area Lease Sale (Jan 24, 2014)
- Sixth Task Force Meeting – Teleconference/Webinar (June 27, 2013)
- Fifth Task Force Meeting (Jan 29, 2013)
- Fourth Task Force Meeting (June 24, 2011)
- Third Task Force Meeting (March 23, 2011)
- Second Task Force Meeting (July 14, 2010)
- First Task Force Meeting (April 14, 2010)