Draft Fisheries Mitigation Guidance
BOEM, in consultation with the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) and affected coastal states, held virtual public meetings to discuss draft guidance for ways to mitigate impacts from offshore wind projects on commercial and recreational fisheries and fishing. The guidance was developed based on public input received in late 2021.
The Draft Fisheries Mitigation Guidance was shared with the public for review and input for a 60-day comment period, which closed on Aug. 22, 2022. Comments can be viewed here: https://www.regulations.gov/docket/BOEM-2022-0033. Guidelines developed through this process may be updated periodically based upon public feedback and evaluation by BOEM staff.
- Public meetings Summary (July 11 East Coast Meeting, July 15 West Coast Meeting, July 18 Gulf Coast Meeting, July 21 Developers Meeting)
The workshops primarily engaged commercial and recreational fishermen on the West Coast, the Gulf, and the Atlantic Coast, as well as developers. However, the meetings were open to the general public to participate.
- Fisheries Mitigation Meeting Presentation
- Fisheries Mitigation Recording
- Draft Fisheries Mitigation Guidance
- Appendix A. Data and Methodology for Developing Revenue Exposure Estimates in the Northeast Atlantic
- Overview – Guidance for Mitigating Impacts to Commercial and Recreational Fisheries from Offshore Wind Energy Development
Request for Information on Fisheries Mitigation Guidance
On November 23, 2021, BOEM published a “Request for Information” to obtain input from the public, especially the fishing community, on avoiding, minimizing and, if needed, compensating for impacts from offshore wind energy projects to commercial and recreational fisheries.
The comment period on the Request for Information closed on January 7, 2022. Comments can be viewed here: https://www.regulations.gov/search/comment?filter=BOEM-2021-0083
Request for Information Workshops
BOEM hosted a series of workshops in December 2021 to obtain input from the fishing community. Workshop materials can be found below.
- Offshore Wind Fisheries Mitigation Agenda
- BOEM Presentation - Request for Information on Guidance for Mitigating Impacts
- Request for Information - Guidance for Mitigating Impacts to Commercial and Recreational Fisheries from Offshore Wind Energy Development (November 22, 2021)
- 12/01/2021 - East Coast Workshop on Clams and Scallops (Bottom Gear)
- 12/02/2021 - East Coast Workshop on Mobile Gear/Mixed Trawl/Pelagic
- 12/06/2021 - East Coast Workshop on Fixed Gear
- 12/07/2021 - Recreational Fishing Workshop
- 12/13/2021 - West Coast Workshop
- 12/14/2021 - Developers Workshop
- 12/15/2021 - Gulf of Mexico Workshop