- October 15, 2021 - The National Renewable Energy Laboratory has published The Cost and Feasibility of Floating Offshore Wind Energy in the O’ahu Region. This study provides estimates of the Levelized Cost of Energy (LCOE) of offshore wind in the region surrounding O’ahu and investigates related topics relevant to planning for offshore wind.
- September 14, 2021 - BOEM Names Doug Boren to Lead Pacific Office
- May 13, 2020 - Understanding Potential Effects of West Coast Offshore Renewable Energy Development on Marine Mammals. Presenter: Desray Reeb, Marine Biologist, BOEM.
- BOEM is working closely with the State of Hawaii to determine potential path forward for offshore wind planning in the state.
- An Introduction to Floating Offshore Wind webinar hosted by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) on February 26, 2020.
- March 11, 2020 - West Coast Science Exchange Webinar Series: Understanding the Potential Effects of Offshore Wind Development to Fishes, Essential Fish Habitat and Fisheries | Presenter: Donna Schroeder, Marine Ecologist, BOEM
- January 8, 2020 - West Coast Science Exchange Webinar Series: Birds and Offshore Wind Energy Development: BOEM's Avian Study Strategy to Assess Data Needs and Effects | Presenter: David Pereksta, Avian Biologist, BOEM
Call for Information and Nominations
On June 24, 2016, BOEM published a “Call for Information and Nominations” (Call) to seek additional nominations from companies interested in commercial wind energy leases within the Call area offshore Hawaii (see map below). BOEM also sought public input on the potential for wind development in the Call Area, including comments on site conditions, resources, and existing uses of the area that would be relevant to BOEM’s wind energy development authorization process. The comment period is now closed. BOEM is now in the Area Identification stage of the leasing process, during which BOEM will identify areas for environmental analysis and consideration for leasing. Materials relating to the “Call” are below.
- Hawaii Call for Information and Nominations
- Map Showing the Hawaii Call for Information and Nominations
- GIS File of the Hawaii Call Area
- Public Comments received in response to the Call submitted through Regulations.gov (Docket No. BOEM-2016-0036)
- Commercial Nominations of Interest
- Public Scoping Meetings on Potential Oahu Offshore Wind
- Public Comment Period extended to September 7, 2016
- Public comments filed through Regulations.gov (Docket No. BOEM-2016-0049) can be found here
- A compilation of public comments filed outside of Regulations.gov (listed in no particular order) can be found here
- Federal Register Notice - Environmental Assessment for Commercial Wind Leasing and Site Assessment Activities on the Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Offshore the Island of Oahu, Hawaii; Extension of Comment Period
BOEM has received a total of three unsolicited wind energy lease requests from two potential developers: two lease requests from AW Hawaii Wind, LLC (AWH), the AWH Oahu Northwest Project and the AWH Oahu South Project; and one from Progression Hawaii Offshore Wind, Inc. (Progression), the Progression South Coast of Oahu Project. Each project proposes an offshore floating wind energy facility with a capacity of approximately 400 megawatts (MW) of renewable energy. The energy generated by the projects would be transmitted to Oahu by undersea cables.
- Wind energy competitive leasing process
- Map of Unsolicited Lease Request Areas
- National Environmental Policy Act Citizen's Guide
BOEM established the BOEM/Hawaii Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force to promote planning and coordination, and to facilitate effective and efficient review of requests for commercial and research leases and right-of-way grants for power cables on the Federal outer continental shelf (OCS). The OCS begins 3 nautical miles offshore Hawaii. Members of the Task Force include representatives of Federal, state and local government agencies, and offices who regularly engage with members of the Native Hawaiian community.
- 2016 - Task Force Meeting: Four
- 2015 - Task Force Meeting: Three
- 2012 - Task Force Meeting: Two
- 2012 - Task Force Meeting: One
- Now Available: Marine Biogeographic Assessment of the Main Hawaiian Islands
- Note to Stakeholders: Call for Information and Nominations (Call) and Notice of Intent to Prepare an Environmental Assessment
- BOEM Extends Comment Period on Potential Oahu Offshore Wind
- You're Invited: Public Scoping Meeting on Potential Oahu Offshore Wind
- Secretary Jewell Announces First Step to Develop Wind Energy Offshore Hawaii
- Hawaii Intergovernmental Renewable Task Force Meeting
- Unsolicited Lease Request for Floating Wind Energy Project Offshore Oahu, Hawaii
- AGENDA: BOEM/Hawaii Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting
- BOEM/Hawaii Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting