New York Bight
On Feb. 25, 2022, the Department of the Interior announced the results of the nation’s highest-grossing competitive offshore energy lease sale in history, including oil and gas lease sales, with the New York Bight offshore wind sale. These results are a major milestone towards achieving the Biden-Harris administration’s goal of reaching 30 gigawatts of offshore wind energy by 2030. The lease sale offered six lease areas totaling over 488,000 acres in the New York Bight for potential wind energy development and drew competitive winning bids from six companies totaling approximately $4.37 billion. To learn more: https://www.boem.gov/renewable-energy/state-activities/new-york-bight.
In January 2022, Secretary Haaland was joined by New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy and New York Governor Kathy Hochul to outline their shared vision for developing a robust offshore wind domestic supply chain that will deliver benefits to residents of New York and New Jersey and the surrounding region, including underserved communities. This collaboration will serve as a model for future engagement and establish the U.S. as a major player in the global offshore wind market.
There are three renewable energy efforts underway offshore New York.
BOEM has funded or considered numerous studies to collect information about the marine environment to support decisions concerning offshore renewable energy development. For more information, please visit http://www.boem.gov/New-York-Environmental-Studies/.
BOEM coordinates Outer Continental Shelf renewable energy activities offshore New York with its federal, state, local, and tribal government partners through its intergovernmental renewable energy task force. To obtain information discussed during these meetings click on the links below.
- Apr. 2021 Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting on the New York Bight
- Nov. 2018 Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting on the New York Bight
- May 2018 Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting on the New York Bight
- 2017 New York Bight Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force Webinar
- 2017 Task Force Meeting
- 2016 Task Force Meeting
- 2013 Task Force Meeting
- 2012 Task Force Meeting
- 2010 Task Force Meeting
Other Public Meetings
- 2018 New York Bight Area Identification Meetings
- 2018 Fishing in NY Bight Meeting
- 2016 Public Meetings
- 2015 Commercial Fishing Stakeholder Meetings
Related Press Releases
- Biden-Harris Administration Sets Offshore Energy Records with $4.37 Billion in Winning Bids for Wind Sale (02/25/2022)
- Interior Department Announces Historic Wind Energy Auction Offshore New York and New Jersey (01/12/2022)
- BOEM Announces Upcoming Environmental Review for a Proposed Wind Project Offshore New York and New Jersey (06/17/2021)
- Biden-Harris Administration Proposes Competitive Lease Sale for Offshore Wind Development for New York and New Jersey (06/11/2021)
- BOEM Advances Offshore Wind in Major U.S. East Coast Energy Market (03/29/2021)
- BOEM Releases Draft Environmental Analysis for Offshore Wind Energy Project (01/05/2021)
- BOEM Announces Next Steps for Proposed New York – New Jersey Wind Energy Transmission Line (06/17/2019)
- BOEM Seeks Information and Industry Interest in Offshore Wind Energy Development within the New York Bight Region (04/06/2018)