On Nov. 21, 2023, the Department of the Interior announced the approval of the construction and operation of the Empire Wind project offshore New York. Empire Wind US LLC proposes to develop two offshore wind facilities, known as Empire Wind 1 and Empire Wind 2. The lease area is located about 12 nautical miles (nm) south of Long Island, N.Y., and about 16.9 nm east of Long Branch, N.J. Together these projects would have a total capacity of 2,076 megawatts of clean, renewable energy that BOEM estimates could power more than 700,000 homes each year.
The Record of Decision (ROD) documents the decision to approve the construction of 147 wind turbines within the lease area.
In January 2022, Secretary Haaland was joined by New Jersey Governor Phil Murphy and New York Governor Kathy Hochul to outline their shared vision for developing a robust offshore wind domestic supply chain that will deliver benefits to residents of New York and New Jersey and the surrounding region, including underserved communities. This collaboration will serve as a model for future engagement and establish the U.S. as a major player in the global offshore wind market.
The following renewable energy efforts are underway offshore New York.
- South Fork Wind Project (OCS-A 0517)
- Sunrise Wind Farm Project (OCS-A 0487)
- Empire Wind (Lease OCS-A 0512)
- New York Bight Leases (OCS-A 0537-0544)
BOEM has funded or considered numerous studies to collect information about the marine environment to support decisions concerning offshore renewable energy development. For more information, please visit http://www.boem.gov/New-York-Environmental-Studies/.
Related Press Releases
- Biden-Harris Administration Approves Sixth Offshore Wind Project (11/21/2023)
- BOEM Completes Environmental Analysis for Proposed Wind Project Offshore New York (9/11/2023)
- BOEM Seeks Public Comment on Draft Environmental Analysis for Proposed Wind Energy Project Offshore New York (11/14/2022)
- BOEM Extends Public Comment Period for NY Bight Programmatic Environmental Impact Statement (8/9/2022)
- Bureau of Ocean Energy Management Announces Environmental Review of Six Wind Lease Areas Offshore New York and New Jersey (7/13/2022)
- Biden-Harris Administration Sets Offshore Energy Records with $4.37 Billion in Winning Bids for Wind Sale (2/25/2022)
- Interior Department Announces Historic Wind Energy Auction Offshore New York and New Jersey (1/12/2022)
- BOEM Announces Upcoming Environmental Review for a Proposed Wind Project Offshore New York and New Jersey (6/17/2021)
- Biden-Harris Administration Proposes Competitive Lease Sale for Offshore Wind Development for New York and New Jersey (6/11/2021)
- BOEM Advances Offshore Wind in Major U.S. East Coast Energy Market (3/29/2021)
- BOEM Releases Draft Environmental Analysis for Offshore Wind Energy Project (1/5/2021)
- BOEM Announces Next Steps for Proposed New York – New Jersey Wind Energy Transmission Line (6/17/2019)
- BOEM Seeks Information and Industry Interest in Offshore Wind Energy Development within the New York Bight Region (4/6/2018)
New York Bight
On Feb. 25, 2022, the Department of the Interior announced the results of the nation’s highest-grossing competitive offshore energy lease sale in history, including oil and gas lease sales, with the New York Bight offshore wind sale. These results are a major milestone towards achieving the Biden-Harris administration’s goal of reaching 30 gigawatts of offshore wind energy by 2030. The lease sale offered six lease areas totaling over 488,000 acres in the New York Bight for potential wind energy development and drew competitive winning bids from six companies totaling approximately $4.37 billion. To learn more: https://www.boem.gov/renewable-energy/state-activities/new-york-bight.
BOEM coordinates Outer Continental Shelf renewable energy activities offshore New York with its federal, state, local, and tribal government partners through its New York Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force. To obtain information discussed during these and stakeholder meetings click on the links below.
- New York & New Jersey Offshore Wind Environmental Justice Forums (2022 – 2023)
- Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting on the New York Bight (April 2021)
- Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting on the New York Bight (November 2018)
- New York Bight Area Identification Meetings (September 2018)
- Fishing in NY Bight Meeting (September 2018)
- Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting on the New York Bight (May 2018)
- New York Bight Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force Webinar (December 2017)
- New York Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting (October 2017)
- Environmental Assessment Public Meetings (June 2016)
- New York Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting (April 2016)
- Commercial Fishing Stakeholder Meetings (November 2015)
- New York Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting (September 2013)
- New York Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting (April 2012)
- New York Intergovernmental Renewable Energy Task Force Meeting (November 2010)