Leasing and Plans
As its name indicates, the Alaska Region Leasing and Plans Program Office contains two sections: Leasing, and Plans.
- The Leasing Section implements the federal government's Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Oil and Gas Leasing Five-Year Program within the bounds of the Alaska OCS Region. The section ensures that OCS Lands Act requirements and procedures are followed in the preparation and conduct of sales listed in the Five-Year Program.
- The Plans Section manages all exploration plans and development/production plans within the Alaska OCS Region. The section ensures that industry follows all lease mitigation and terms of sale when exploring for and developing the oil and gas resources in the federal waters off Alaska. In this capacity, the section fosters collaboration and effective communication with other federal, state and local agencies to ensure environmentally sound and safe OCS oil and gas exploration and development activities.
To put it a little more simply:
- The Five-Year Program specifies when and where lease sales will be held.
- The Leasing Section implements this program, coordinating lease sales and the leasing process.
- Once a company has leased tracts, it must submit to BOEM a plan to explore those tracts. The Plans section manages this part of the process.
BOEM Alaska Region
Office of Leasing and Plans
3801 Centerpoint Dr Ste 500
Anchorage, AK 99503-5823
Phone: (907) 334-5270