The Gulf continues to be the nation's primary offshore source of oil and gas, generating about 97% of all U.S. OCS oil and gas production.
OCS activities generate substantial revenues from lease sales, royalties on production, and rental fees. These funds are distributed to the U.S. Treasury and several different programs through various revenue sharing laws. The largest portion goes to the General Fund of the U.S. Treasury, which benefits all U.S. citizens through funding of daily operations of the Federal Government.
In FY2021, revenues totaled $4.1 Billion from OCS oil and gas activities.
Lease Sale Information
- Lease Sales
- Summary Statistics for All Sales
- Combined Leasing Status Report
- Gulf of Mexico Interactive Lease Statistics Dashboard
This dashboard provides near real-time GOM Active Lease Statistics
- Gulf of Mexico Region Lease Map (as of February 2024)
This provides the total number of blocks, total acres, blocks leased and acres leased by planning area
- Western and Central GOM Topographic Features Stipulation Map Package (updated March 2018)
- Top Ten Highest Bids on a Single Block for All Gulf Sales
- Top Ten Highest Number of Bids on a Single Block for All Gulf Sales
Leasing and Plans
- Leasing and Plans Important Notice - effective April 2, 2020
- Leasing and Plans Helpful Information
- Chief Notes
- Bid Adequacy Procedures
- Oil Spill Financial Responsibility (OSFR) for Offshore Facilities
- High-Resolution Geophysical Survey Application - allows the user to view and query High Resolution Geophysical Surveys that were completed in the Gulf of Mexico and submitted to BOEM as Geohazard/Archaeology Reports.
- Gulf Plans Workshop - an all day workshop held on July 18, 2017, in New Orleans.
- Well Producibility Determination (WPD) requests are now available online. For more information and instructions on how to submit requests see the WPD User Guide.
- OCS Report BOEM 2019-005 - Deepwater Gulf Of Mexico Report
- OCS Report BOEM 2022-022 - U.S. Outer Continental Shelf, Gulf of Mexico Region, Oil and Gas Production Forecast: 2022-2031
- OCS Report BOEM 2017-082 - U.S. Outer Continental Shelf, Gulf of Mexico Region, Oil and Gas Production Forecast: 2018-2027
- Biostratigraphic Chart of the Gulf of Mexico Offshore Regions, Jurassic to Quaternary
- 2022 Top 50 Company Report
- 2023 Top 40 Company Report
- Indicated Hydrocarbon List
- OCS Operations Field Directory
- Seismic Water Bottom Anomalies Map Gallery
- Undiscovered Resources